View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Yes, absolutely.
You need to get them NOW.
DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR BEFORE THEY ARE REPAIRED.
it looks as if it was not installed correctly in the first place.
Quote:
Well, the top washer/plate is not supposed to be concave (or convex if you flip it over), which makes me think someone cranked down on it way too much
Well no, that washer is suppose to be that way. It is a must that it be fitted that way or else you will have not installed the rsm correctly. This really makes me believe you have not the experience in this topic. I'm not picking on you, but perhaps this is not the best thread topic for your input.
Quote:
And, just to be clear, I did not say it was un-driveable. I said he should not drive it until the RSM's are replaced.
But, if I am in the minority here, then that is fine. I would not risk additional damage to the shock.
that is semantics, you put ALL IN CAPITALS the OP NOT drive his car.
also extremely low chance it would ever damage the shock.
Quote:
I mentioned sheet metal tearing because there have been photos posted on here, that I could not dig up, of that entire area tearing in some of the worst cases, and cracks developing around the bolt holes at best. They do sell those reinforcement plates for the RSM's for a reason.
yes sheet metal does tear. but the Z3 reinformcement plates are for that model of BMW sheetmetal. even the E46 Rough Road package doesn't have the rear plates. Re-inforcement plates are used for firm suspensions with little travel, i know about them. i installed them on 4 of my last BMWs. it's more a safety insurance, not because of the mounts breaking. (but i'm sure in some extreme case you may find an example). but on the E46 when a basic rsm breaks it's not taking the sheetmetal with it. just the center bonded rubber out of the metal casing.
Quote:
It is always easy to debate possibilities, and to say that it "shouldn't be a problem" when it is not your car. I will not hand out advice like that, plain and simple. I have seen and read about RSM failures associated with cracking or tearing sheet metal in that area, so my advice is and will always be to stop driving, and replace the part, because of the potential for more damage. The OP can listen or not, and he has to make the final decision. Personally, I think it is irresponsible to tell someone they "should be OK". Err on the side of caution, and assume..
I was polite about it..I simply said that, in my opinion, he should stop driving it, and replace the mounts. After all, we are only talking about $70 worth of parts.
Unless I can crawl in his trunk, and look for myself, I will advise the most cautious approach. But, maybe that is just me.
Well you say he can make the final decision, but when someone says It ABSOLUTELY is broken this is not giving him the correct facts. You say some advice by others is irresponsible, how is first post YES Absolutley it is broken and Not to Drive responsible? You say now that your advice is to err on the cautious side. But that was not your tone in the first post. It wasn't so easy going and allow the OP to make his own decision. You gave Direct It's Broken. Fix them Now, DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR BEFORE THEY ARE REPAIRED.
And for the record, again the do NOT look broken. And if they are starting. they have a long way to go before they do any damage.