View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #51
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I did OK considering it was my first time?. Miatas on sticky race tires were doing 38s. My fastest was 41.5 and i consistently did about 43 flat.

california speedway fontana. $80 ($75 sign up early)
Having raced Miatas for years, I can say that they can corner to the point of making your neck sore (no kidding)! Their light weight is easy on even the stickiest of race tires too, which is a bonus. Mazda actually made a coupe version as a test (genuine roof, not just a drop on hard top). I cant imagine how much better that car would have cornered with the additional structural stiffness. But they decided very few people would want a Miata with a permenant roof, other than racers, which was probably the right call.
Too bad the Z3 member matched their level of performance. That was a major lost opportunity on BMW's part. It is strange how two cars that look so similar on paper could end up so different.
Sorry, but I still have a soft spot for Miatas! If they had made a NA version with a small V6 and about 100 more HP, I probably would never have bought a BMW.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote