Thread: Expansion tank
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
kowalzekc

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
ECS sells cooling kits for out cars at a reasonable price. Buy the best kit you can afford, because inevitably, you'll either be fixing your car somewhere where you like, as in your friend's shop, or somewhere very inconvenient, like on the side of the freeway. BMW cooling systems fall apart at the 100,000 mile mark so budget, set the money aside and get prepared to spend.
I agree! I think I have replaced all but the radiator so I should be good for a good while now. FYI, for those of you who try this and can't get the tank out. Use a claw hammer and pry upward on the cap against the core support and it should pop right out. I know some might disagree that this will cause a break somewhere, but it worked for me.

2 other pointers:
1 just replace the cap or the rings, it's not worth the extra trip just because you wanted to save $10.
2 to get everything to seat easily and proper, use just a little KY lube on the male end or something to that affect and all the hoses will reconnect easy. Again, very unorthodox but hey I got it back together and started in 15 min.

Lastly, I would like to thank all who did DIY write ups as it made this a near fun job.

If any have questions on this job, feel free to ask or pm me.
kowalzekc is offline   Reply With Quote