View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I have to disagree somewhat. I have a car at the shop that is a 9.8-1 2J 3.4L and it made 950 rwhp with a 6766 and 1130 rwhp with a 7275 turbo. The car's head is stock except for kelford cams. The 2J is simple bullet proof in stock form up to 1000 crank HP and when built it has been engine dynoed well over 2000 hp. It has propelled many cars to low 6 second quarter miles and over 250 in the standing mile. The stock head / stock cam setup on the BMW does flow quite a bit better on the BMW though. I am not sure that anyone has really pushed the BMW engine with the proper parts. Maybe with a larger intercooler, bigger cams and a better exhaust manifold the BMW would prove superior? It certainly does outperform the 2J at lower boost levels but there seems to be a bottle neck somewhere. And don't forget that you do not have to sleeve the 2J block to handle high HP. Both are great motors though no doubt!
Peak hp is nice but from your experience, which motors (at similar boost levels and similar sized turbos) have a larger power band and/or make more torque? I know there are a lot of other factors, but what would your opinion be? Ceteris paribus, 2jzs have always seemed like dyno queen motors or highway monsters. Not suitable for a worthy track car because the boost would come in relatively late and VERY hard making traction nearly impossible at low gears...correct me if I'm wrong.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote