View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
Waiting for something to go wrong with the cooling system isn't a good idea. These cars are very sensitive to that and if you let the water pump or expansion tank go out, the car will overheat requiring a $2500 headgasket job. The expansion tank, thermostat, and water pump are between $200-$300 and are extremely easy DIY's on these cars. I'm not saying it's going to go out tomorrow, but why risk it? Read up around here on the forums.
yes it's a long standing suggestion to do water pump, T-stat and coolant changes as part of 2 year maintenance.
but let's not mistakenly tell someone if their car overheats this means they will have a $2500 headgasket job. that's only if someone continues to drive their car long after all the lights on the dash and Temp lights go on. (seem a lot of us seasoned members are having to make this correction alot lately). this is why i said make sure to read the Owners Manual because it explains this. so if you just shut it off in a timely manner all you'll need to do at the least is replace that failed part and be good.