View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
klixtokw

My Ride: bmw 325 ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Have you checked your connections at the battery?
If you measured voltage at the battery terminals, that would only tell if battery is good.

Check the voltage on your cluster.
Unlock menu 19
Then
Menu 9 will show you voltage at the battery.

If you tested 12.5 at the terminals, and read less on the cluster, then I would guess a connection.

I have started my car on as little as 10.9, and have had a no start issue because loose terminal connection, even when the fob key was still able to unlock the car.
MPR,
what is the cluster, menu 19 and 9??

Is it not solid proof that the solenoid is not closing when you hit the starter and there is no sound and the high beams do not even blink? It seems that no current is delivered because either the starter motor would crank or if shorted would not crank but would cause a heavy current flow that would dim the lights considerably.

Based on this since my lights did not dim and no sound was heard I'm pretty confident my problem is the solenoid and I would also change the starter because I have heard its a difficult job to do.
Anybody have any idea what the starte motor cost? How about the labor to change? (hours )

Battery is brand new and reading 12.5 at its terminals and at the jump terminal in the engine. All the electrical equipment works fine.
My car is a 2004 325CI.
klixtokw is offline   Reply With Quote