View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
wlmmn

My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Seems like the question was answered in first reply
Well excuse me Mr. Rolls Eyes and Bangs Head Against Brick Wall, I was looking for a more in-depth answer than that. Saying "They are losing in life. You are winning" oversimplifies it to the conclusion that we're better because we own BMWs and everyone picks on BMW owners because they are nice cars to own, hence acting out of jealousy.

No. Sorry, that's not a satisfying answer that lends itself to interesting discussion, which is what I was after when I started this thread. So to me, that didn't answer the question. If you feel it's been answered, then you have nothing further to contribute to this discussion, so please leave.

Point being, there's other nice car marquees out there whose owners don't get this negative portrayal in the media like BMW owners do. I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

I was hoping to get some intelligent insight into our society or how it came to be BMW specifically (with some Porsche references I've heard here and there, I admit) that comes with such a stigma attached to it that seems to pervade in society. Again, there's Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, and other super high-end automakers that cost more than BMWs that don't get picked on like BMW. Was there something that happened in the 80s with the yuppie image tied to BMW, with Mercedes and Audi somehow avoiding the whole thing? If so, how did that happen?

If anyone is still puzzled at what I'm after, I copied and pasted this from a Mazda Miata forum, of all things:

Quote:
An oversimplified reading would play directly into the now tired, classist, stereotype of scions of "ill-gotten" wealth dumping on everyone else as they streak by at 100 MPH in an M5 ... but that's in reality a fairly rare scenario.

Far more common are heavily-leveraged trendies that drive like jerks because the car is so much more capable than a Yaris or Miata that it seems to the driver like everyone else is cruising around in 2nd gear. Blame the car, blame the driver, but don't try to pass this off on inter-class warfare - that's waaaay too easy, partisan, and IMO counter-productive (and wrong).
If a Miata forum can spark some insight into it, then there's no reason for a BMW forum to brush off any attempt at analysis of this topic and be a d!ck by rolling eyes. Come on, guys; this concerns all of you.