View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #2363
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I have a shoe care question.....

If I use Obenauf's HDLP on CXL leather, I know that it will dull the leather but the tradeoff is total water/snow/weather protection. Will I be able to strip the HDLP off at a later time and return it to a normal shine?
HDLP is used with propolis which is basically sap. and i don't know how well/even that breaks down over time. you want something that will break down evenly and not leave any residue on the boot.

i would recommend just using pitch blend to be honest, or straight mink oil. CXL is by nature heavily oil impregnated. you don't need them to be totally water proof.

i've had very good results with pitch blend, which is beeswax, mink oil, and a low amount of pine pitch. after each wear i wipe it down with a damp cloth, brush, and they're good. water beads right off, and if you follow this regimen, you'll just reapply a coat every 2-3 months or so with normal use.

if you're wearing them in the rain and snow every single day, you'll need to apply more frequently.

EDIT: this is the method i use, i've posted it here previously. it works. like i said, just add the wipe down and horehair brush post-wear and you're good to go.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 10-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote