View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2368
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
HDLP is used with propolis which is basically sap. and i don't know how well/even that breaks down over time. you want something that will break down evenly and not leave any residue on the boot.

i would recommend just using pitch blend to be honest, or straight mink oil. CXL is by nature heavily oil impregnated. you don't need them to be totally water proof.

i've had very good results with pitch blend, which is beeswax, mink oil, and a low amount of pine pitch. after each wear i wipe it down with a damp cloth, brush, and they're good. water beads right off, and if you follow this regimen, you'll just reapply a coat every 2-3 months or so with normal use.

if you're wearing them in the rain and snow every single day, you'll need to apply more frequently.

EDIT: this is the method i use, i've posted it here previously. it works. like i said, just add the wipe down and horehair brush post-wear and you're good to go.

Thanks! I keep going back and forth on what to do. My wife and I are heading to London, Amsterdam and Paris for 10 days at the end of December/beginning of January.....the weather for those places is typically rainy that time of year. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to buy a pair boot overshoes, treat my Bayfields in the method that you just outlined, or purchasing a pair of Hunter Chelsea rain boots.

Edit: Or something more casual like these

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...~~~~/71422.jsp

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote