Thread: Totalled?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
Totalled?

I hoped I would never have to do one of these threads but here it goes....

A coworker and I were driving home from a business trip in Canada on I90 westbound in Ashtabula Ohio. We were passing a truck around 3:00AM when the headlights illuminated a large deer carcus in the middle of the road. With nowhere to go, we hit Bambi and went airborne as the deer dragged under the car. Luckily the airbags did not go off and neither of us were hurt.

The battery light lit up, followed by the famous cog of death. The car limped about half of a mile before the coolant light popped up and the temperature began to skyrocket. After stopping and looking at the car, the damage is as follows:

- front bumper/fogs destroyed but still partially on the car
- power steering pump assumed to be destroyed - half of the pulley fell out of the car on the flatbed
- Transmission shutters in reverse, no forward gears (steptronic)
- Radiator and all associated lower plumbing destroyed
- Unknown damage to suspension components
- Unknown but assumed that all lower air conditioning components are destroyed

The engine runs fine and the only visible body damage is the destroyed bumper. Based on the damage above, am I right in concluding that the car should be totalled? It would be repaired at a shop since I have very little time to spend fixing it and a transmission swap is out of my league. It's a 2001 325i with 99k that was in great shape until a few hours ago.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.