View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #74
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Excuse me if this isn't your definition of "conditioning" but I currently play intense, skilled ice hockey games 1-2 times a week year round. When cutting, I cut my weights to 3 days / week and have two days for H.I.I.T. on the treadmill. At my peak I was going 1 min x 4mph followed by 1 min x 12 mph for 16 minutes.

That's about all the conditioning / cardio experience I have unfortunately. I am very interested in bikram yoga, and would still like to find a way to add it in to my routine as a supplement on a weekend day, once a week. I'm all ears for anything that will help me reach my goals.

My gym is "world class" as they advertise... I have every piece of equipment available for a standard gym, plus things like TRX bands, kettlebells, etc. Just no rubber weights, and that reverse hyper extension machine discussed on here awhile back
I would definitely consider ice hockey to be conditioning.

I would start using some weights in your other conditioning workouts similar to what Solly does on his posts. There is a lot more to conditioning than the wind you build up from running or sprinting.

Switch it up all the time. Rowing, run, bike, KB circuit, CrossFit esq metcons, long, medium, short, light, medium, heavy. Don't be afraid to include the barbell. Intensity and variation are key with conditioning IMO.

How long do you spend in the gym each time and how much of that time is taken up with weights? When do you play hockey? Same day as weights or on a rest day?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote