View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #75
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I would definitely consider ice hockey to be conditioning.

I would start using some weights in your other conditioning workouts similar to what Solly does on his posts. There is a lot more to conditioning than the wind you build up from running or sprinting.

Switch it up all the time. Rowing, run, bike, KB circuit, CrossFit esq metcons, long, medium, short, light, medium, heavy. Don't be afraid to include the barbell. Intensity and variation are key with conditioning IMO.

How long do you spend in the gym each time and how much of that time is taken up with weights? When do you play hockey? Same day as weights or on a rest day?
I spend around 1 hour to 1 and a half hours depending on workout in the gym, and that's all weights (From routine I linked). Hockey schedule is random, usually late night weekdays (10-10:45 pm start) or same times on a friday/saturday.

What I've been doing is trying to keep hockey on a "rest" day from weights, so for instance I have hockey 10:45 PM Thursday night this week, and my usual weight routine is mon/tue, rest wed, thu/fri ... so this week I will workout mon/tue, rest fully wed, rest (hockey) thursday, then workout friday and saturday... then have all day sunday to sleep / recover / watch football etc.

If I know I am going out on a friday (something im cutting almost entirely out once winter hits) then I would workout mon/tue/wed, play hockey thursday, and finish split friday... leaving entire weekend to recover, and be hungover saturday. If hockey falls on a weekend, I do my normal routine.

Ok, so I should be throwing these exercises in during my mini cut cycles? (In place of HIIT?) or during my bulk as well? I'd like to stick to four days of weights, one day of hockey, and two rest days to leave time for rest of life things.