View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
This.

You are entitled, as a paying customer of insurance, to obtain the check from the insurance company for the repair and go where ever you want to get it fixed. Remember YOU are the one that is insured, not the autobody company. Your car has been damaged. You can chose to do the work yourself if you want, so you can get the check cut to you.

You should go to at least 2, if not 3 shops and get estimates for the repair from all the shops. File the estimate that most suites you (without totaling the car) to the insurance company. Ask them to cut you a check for the repair. Go to the repair shop of your choosing and give them the parts list for the OEM MTech II bumper and let them fit and paint to match your car. Chances are you may come out slightly ahead. Note this is NOT fraud, it's how the system works.

If you want to know who the shops are that charge the most for their work go to your local autobody supply shop (yellow pages - too many hits on the internet) and ask who does the best work. Get your estimates from those shops. The autobody supply shops are kind of like a wholesale paint and body shop supply depot for the local autobody shops.

GL
This is be varying degrees of incorrect, based on the state you're in and the company you're dealing with, for reasons I'm not going to go into because I've had too much to drink and I'm on my phone.