View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #367
love2drive330CI

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Ok...going outside the box here...work with me as my brain is always looking for a way...sometimes it goes astray.

If the fuel pump is a mechanical failure, inside of it somewhere is the fault for failure. Perhaps if there are brushes in it like the alternator has the voltage regulator; anyone ever look into that or consider the root cause of the pump failure by dissecting it? I am thinking something wore out/wire/brushes etc. but the casing is probably still sound.

I know we can say it is easier to replace it with a new one at a cost of approx $120.00 but if the part inside failing is replaceable and say $5.00 that would help the cause. I only say this from when I dissected the buttons to our windows and noticed that it was a tear in the rubber like boot that caused the window failure; which could be fixed by repairing the rubber break or making a little molded piece out of silicone.
(or how Raj figured out the o-rings to the vanos)

I will open up my failing pump once I get my replacement but for the record my expertise is not really down the mechanical alley. I enjoy it for the tinkering and learning and sharing of information.

So has anyone opened up a failing/failed pump to identify the "root" problem?