View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #380
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2drive330CI View Post
Edited--pump just arrived after posting here. Kudos to BMA(and probably a glitch with Brown delivering it). I ordered it yesterday for Ground service from CA to FL., got it overnight. The label is ground so I got lucky. I was a Manager in the overnight delivery business for over 10 years so I know how the system works with ground...still nice to get it when I wasn't expecting it until next week.

So, another question; should I install the pump now or should I wait and do both fuel filter and pump together? I have never replaced my fuel filter so I don't know how clogged it is; I don't have access to my jacks(in my POD storage). I am thinking it will be fine to replace pump now and get the filter changed next week. Thoughts?

Definitely change the filter at the same time.
I am starting to think that a lot of the fuel pump failures may be due to neglected fuel filters, causing a lot of back pressure on the pump, and forcing it to work harder. I know my car was still running on my original fuel filter, with 120k miles on it.
Of course, I am simply guessing on this, since I have not taken the time to learn if there is a system in place to prevent a clogged filter from causing high back pressure on our fuel pumps. I am also not sure if the car is capable of increasing the speed of the pump, to keep the fuel pressure constant if the filter is clogged. So, I need to study that process, or someone who knows for sure how it works can spell it out for me on here. So for now, it is just my theory on why the fuel pumps are failing.

As for your installation, my advice would be to change out the pump first. Then, start the car, and let it run for a few minutes. That way, you can trap any stirred up junk in your old filter.
Then, shut off the car, pull the fuse for the fuel pump, and start (or try to start) the car again, to release the pressure from the lines. Then replace your filter.

And before anyone gives me sh!t for driving around on an original fuel filter for 3+ years, I know I should have changed it when I bought it. If my life had been somewhat normal at the time, I would have. In fact, my usual process when I buy a used car is to assume everything is old, and change out all of the filters, fluids, plugs and wires, and any other consumable items. But, that was not possible when I got this car, but I have been fortunate, so far.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 11-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote