View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
This.

You are entitled, as a paying customer of insurance, to obtain the check from the insurance company for the repair and go where ever you want to get it fixed. Remember YOU are the one that is insured, not the autobody company. Your car has been damaged. You can chose to do the work yourself if you want, so you can get the check cut to you.

You should go to at least 2, if not 3 shops and get estimates for the repair from all the shops. File the estimate that most suites you (without totaling the car) to the insurance company. Ask them to cut you a check for the repair. Go to the repair shop of your choosing and give them the parts list for the OEM MTech II bumper and let them fit and paint to match your car. Chances are you may come out slightly ahead. Note this is NOT fraud, it's how the system works

If you want to know who the shops are that charge the most for their work go to your local autobody supply shop (yellow pages - too many hits on the internet) and ask who does the best work. Get your estimates from those shops. The autobody supply shops are kind of like a wholesale paint and body shop supply depot for the local autobody shops.

GL

Most of what you state is incorrect. The insurance is going send an adjuster to give an estimate, the check they give you is based on that estimate alone!
You roll the dice in this situation...and here is why...
If you take your car to the repair shop and let them handle everything and they find additional damage that the adjuster missed they can file for a supplement for the additional damage.

If you decide you want to try to make a few $$$ and get a check cut to you so that "you can everything on your own" if there is an additional issue with the car they will not be willing to help you out since you are not a registered repair shop.

I know this because I worked for an insurance company as an adjuster for 8 years!
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote