View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Very well said Bdave. +1

The Vorsteiner hood would be a good place to start; it makes sense to try and improve it.

Is there a way to improve cold air flow to the air filter perhaps by repositioning the vents? A way that doesn't involve a ram air, positive pressure type design?

Is there a way to design the vents so that the engine bay does not get wet when driving "slowly" in rain? Perhaps even a build in a type of shutter that can be opened or closed?

For a non-vented hood: The image posted by pilot1ner in this post: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=98
is awesome and perhaps would be another good starting point IMO.
I too brought up the idea of built in shutters. It was shot down as being over engineered. I dont care. I still like that idea a lot. Good to see someone else does too.

I dont see light rain as being an issue. Even moderate rain when the engine is operating and hot. The water will simply evaporate. It is standing rain and debris from the trees while the car is parked that I would be much more concerned about. In Florida we get huge amounts of blossoms and pollen from the coconut palm trees. My car parking space is directly under one. Car covers are way too much a bother on a daily basis. I tried that. No, vent covers or shutters are best.

Not everyone needs one. The Vortseiner covers were extremely rare. Most people some how managed with no covers at all. I would not buy a heavily vented hood unless I had a way of blocking it off when needed.

I think the air flow the way it sits (the Vorstiener) is excellent. I honestly cant see how it could be improved. I think it removes massive amounts of heat. Can any owners comment first hand?