View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #25
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Just went back to the track this weekend and it did pretty well. Ambient temps were low 80s so it is significantly cooler here in TX.

I think what happened was the original tune post-rebuild was too lean and just f'd everything. It would have been fine except I kept going to the track. I'm thinking that FI'd non-Ms cannot handle 100's on the track even with an oil cooler. I could use meth instead of isoalcohol but that's a bandaid on a bandaid.

The MS45 takes IATs from the MAF whereas the MS43s took IATs from the intake manifold. Even my limited run TS intake mani has a plug for an IAT. Easy, right? Just snip the wires to the MAF and then run them to an OE BMW IAT. Apparently there is a circuit inside of the MAF which steps the voltage down from 12v to 5v. My shop is trying to dissect and MS45 MAF and rig up a sensor to put into the mani but that's not a solution I want to take. What if I need to replace the sensor? Just more electronics to fail as well. And then who knows what other issues that will create. I don't see why any company would further develop an FI system/tune for track use because most people have sense and go with a just as capable E36 or E46 M3.

I'm considering a stand alone ECU at this point. Its going to be a track car so I'm willing to sacrifice streetability. I would like to keep the ABS so I'm wondering if I lose that if I scrap the OE DME. I'm being told that ABS is an entirely separate module but I'm not willing to believe the Germans, especially BMW, made something simple and non-integrated.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote