View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #56
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
I think it would be cool to have a hood designed with a discrete ram air duct positioned just over each headlamp.

Imagine a 1/2" to 1" gap between the top inside edge of the headlamp and the top inside edge of the hood that covers the lamp on each side of the grill. This opening would be triangular in shape where the most acute angle would be formed by the intersection between the top outside edge of the headlamp and the top outside edge of the hood.

The lines of the hood over the lamp will have that aggressive "over-hang" look. The air would flow over the headlamp, into this triangular opening (the "overhang") and pass through the air passage ducting directly to the air filter.

Of course the central portion of the hood would need to be reshaped keep the same relative proportions of the OEM hood and help make such a design work.

The ducting could be held in place by the same snap ins and tabs that another member suggested be used to hold the shutters in place. People without the turbo kit could flip the ducting over so that air could feed an after market airbox on the drivers side (another option for the NA guys).

I hope my description was clear enough.
I like your ideas. I'm not sure how much work that will be but i'd like them to draw it out to see what that might look like.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote