View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
nickiv

My Ride: 2002 325I
Unhappy 2002 325i Tons of issues not covered by ext warrnty. Did I get ripped off? (long)

ought a 2002 325i with 100k miles for $7900 w/ $4k down from a Volvo dealership and was told it was owned by a service tech and so all maintenance was done regularly. Clean Carfax. Drove nice. Hadn't been out on the lot yet because it was a trade in. Was going to be inspected in the am and if I bought it before it hit the lot they would let me have it for $7900 instead of $8900 they would list on the lot. I debated until they said another dealership (this is part of Autonation) wanted to take it so unless i signed the paperwork that night they could take it. I could change my mind the next day since I couldn't take the car until then because they hadn't inspected it and needed to do that. We discussed the extended warranty and I signed the paperwork and no money changed hands until the next day. I went in to close the deal, asked about the inspection and was told it was in excellent condition and I was getting a great deal. I know.
So, the finance girl wasn't there to address the extended warranty purchase but would call me. 4 days later the car wouldn't start at work. I waited and tried to figure out what I could do and eventually it started. I had called and left a message about the warranty prior and no call back. Called again and told her problem and she said the warranty would be $3k that had to be paid over 12 mos and would cover 2 yrs or 20k miles and I could still get it. Next day, key got stuck in the ignition at the gas station and wouldn't come out or start and mechanic couldn't get it out. Mechanic got it to start in P and I Went back to dealer and they couldn't get the key out and service dept was gone so I'd have to come back in the AM which I did. They said the car wasn't shifting all the way into P and so wouldn't release key or start. Told me to get the warranty (Western General) at the highest level of coverage so transmission was covered. Assured me it was so comprehensive that if my timing belt went out for normal wear and tear it was covered so I got the warranty. Had to wrestle with the shifter for the next 3 weeks as it got progressively harder to get in and out of P.

Started making this groaning sound when I turned at low speeds, checked fluids and was having to replace power steering fluid at least once a wk. Took the car into the BMW dealership on the 31st day. They told me that there were extensive issues including the transmission, the shifter (they found coins in it), both auxiliary arms were bent, cigarette lighter fuse was out, it was leaking oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid and that all the hoses and seals needed to be replaced. The warranty company had agreed to cover roughly $2k worth of work but not the other $4k. BMW advised me to take it up with Volvo. They fixed what the warranty company would pay for and I called Volvo and got the run around. Finally handed over to the general manager who wanted his guys to look at it. Dropped it off and they looked it over and sent it out for repairs that cost $3k (they said) and replaced all the hoses and addressed all the leaks, fixed the shifter again (said they found coins in it which seems odd) and gave it back to me 4 days later. I picked it up, went home for about an hour and then went out to the car and it wouldn't start. ALl the lights and electrical would work but no crank. Googled it and read it could be the key, the security system killing the ignition because it wasn't disengaging. Was told to lock and unlock the car with the key repeatedly until it reset. It took about 15 mins of doing it but it worked.

It started in the morning and halfway to work, noticed a new light on the dash and the oil light was staying on. Later to find out the new light was the transmission light. I called the dealer and he said that basically they'd put out all the money they were going to and I'd bought the car used and as is. I reminded him that I'd been told it was in perfect condition and that the warranty would cover things it now didn't. He basically blew me off. I called back and they gave me to the sales manager who knew what was going on and he told me to bring it in the next day to their service dept. I did and they had it all day and called at the end of the day and said the GM said they were done working on it and didn't do anything to it.

I called BMW and they said to bring it back in with the new issues. The airbag light was now on along with the transmission light and would stay on while the car was on, there was a kind of squeak coming from the car and what sounded like something turning that became louder when I would brake, the steering wheel was shaking when I would break also. The shifter was sticking AGAIN as well. I took it in and they had it for another 3-4 days. The warranty co paid for a wheel bearing and they said they found coins in the shifter again? : which seems impossible but ... and that left about $4500 work for new issues they had found. I had only had the car for about 45 days---4 times in the shop already.

That was about 2 weeks ago. I've had the car for a little over 2 months and the Volvo dealership was supposed to get back to me yesterday but didn't with some options. I want them to take the car back. Oh--and the new issues are--light that is now on is the traction light along with the transmission and airbag lights that stay on. When leaving BMW the last time I asked if any of the issues were dangerous and they said they would be soon.

(Sorry that was so long) I've read over your boards and this doesn't necessarily seem typical of this make and model. I read of several posts of cars with almost 2x the mileage running great.
1. Which is the norm for this make and model?
2. Is this level of problems typical of BMW as a brand at 100K miles or is this a buggy car or not taken care of properly?
3. Is it at all possible that they are telling me that they keep taking coins out of the shifter so the warranty won't cover it and maybe the warranty co won't figure out that the dealership clearly knew something was wrong with the car while they were selling me a warranty?
4. Is it possible that if they won't take the car back I could contact the warranty company and tell them that and they could help to get me out of this?

5. As far as the problems the car has now... What should I do? What can I do?

I am in the Southern CA area--San Pedro/Torrance and would love to get an outside opinion if anyone can reccommend a local mechanic.
nickiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.