View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #32
aznniche

My Ride: E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone View Post
So I started yesterday afternoon, but didn't get anywhere. Not because it's difficult or anything, just because it got dark on me. I was really going into it kind of blind cause I was still unsure of the exact locations of everything, but after removal of the wheel everything becomes a lot more clear. I broke one of the little clips that was holding the lines to the trailing arm, not a big deal. I can probably tape it to the arm or something. But, as it was getting dark I was trying to at least do one side, but the 3 18mm bolts (I though I had a 18mm socket, but didn't so had to go buy one and that took a little bit) would not come out. I was using a breaker bar and the 18mm socket to undo the bolt, didn't nudge. I thought I might have been tightening instead of loosening so I tried to apply force in the other direction, nothing.

I eventually just re-connected the lines (brake line? and some other line) and then inserted the tires back on. Lowered car, drove around and no brake light or abs or nothing like that came on. So the car is just as it was before I attempted the project, minus a line to control arm clipper thing. Sunday morning I think I'm going to go to my parents' friend (he's a mechanic) and have him help me out, he'll prob get those bolts to move.
impact gun is your friend. i just did this and it was a breeze. another way to preload your bushing is to hand tighten the carrier where it doesnt move easily, put wheels back on and lower it back to normal ride height, jack up and removes wheels and carrier, then torque the bolt through the carrier at its current position.
aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote