View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
... Initially I described the symptom as a cut out. But when I think about it a little more it was more like someone suddenly stamping on the brakes but momentarily. Like the brakes just kicked in. The fact that the DSC went into off mode after the second event was a puzzle but I now think it might be a DSC fault and it was the DSC that stamped on the brakes. ...
The way I'd describe mine would be like cruising along and turning the ignition to off and then back on really quickly, like having it only off for under quarter second or something. I also considered a DSC issue, like maybe a wheel speed sensor was going out or something. But I don't know how a DSC fault would cause the crank sensor code, plus it did that fairly reliably once per drive, usually within 5 minutes of start up for 3 or 4 days before it went into limp-home mode. On a couple of those occasions I was at a stop light at the idle just dropped from the usual ~750 down to a struggling ~400 until I blipped the throttle. It's now been almost 3 weeks with zero recurrence.