View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #15
bigloser

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
+1 on thin tire over wide. wide ones just ride over snow rather than digging in..
The wide vs narrow argument is really dependent on the terribleness of winters where you live. In MD, my larger concern is ice, as we usually only get serious snowstorms every 3-4 years, but we get ice in the winter fairly often. On the occasion we do get a serious storm that would require narrow tires to get traction, I call out of work for the day. And if I really need to get somewhere, I'll borrow my roommate's Jeep. Hence I run on 225/45-17's on all 4 corners.

The wider tires give me better grip in the dry, the wet, and on ice. which will likely be 90+% of my winter driving. If you live somewhere that has regular heavy-ish snowfall, narrow is better. Unless you get ultra-heavy snowfall, then wider becomes better because you have to get on top of the snow because you get high-centered if you try to cut down to the pavement. But I argue you should be driving something with more ground clearance at that point.

1984 318i - Dead
1998 328is - Sold
2004 330i ZHP - I think I'm in love
bigloser is offline   Reply With Quote