View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You just need a 10-100 ft*lb torque wrench and a 20-250 in*lb wrench also (micrometer type, a good medium b/w beam and elctronic). You need a metric combination wrench set, though I just pieced one together. There are some larger sizes that don't come in most sets. You need a 34mm crowsfoot for tierods if you do those. Get a 17mm deep socket for your wheel lugs. A 36mm socket for the oil filter housing. Various length phillips and flathead screwdrivers. Also, pick up a good socket set. You will want torx sockets as well (at least up to T50 in size). You will want several extensions for your sockets. I would get 2 feet worth. A really long flathead is helpful sometimes for various tasks (nothing specific). Get a extendable magnetic wand (a lifesaver). You need a metric hex socket set too. Also, a trim removal kit is helpful for the interior. I got the 5 piece kit from Harbor Freight and it really helped yesterday when I took out the whole trunk area lining.

I would not recommend the craftsman jack you have shown. I would get one that goes lower. Minimum saddle height needs to be less than 4 inches. Maximum height of at least 16 inches (if you use a creeper, you'll want higher). You should get a jack pad adapter from somewhere like ECS Tuning, Bimmer world, or maybe there are some on Ebay. It'll make lifting your car much easier. Also, make sure your car has all the jackpads. If it doesn't, replace them.

That's pretty much all I have. I've been able to do everything with those tools, minus the RTABS for which I bought a special tool.

I forgot to add that it really helps to have all manner of socket adapters available. 1/2 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/4, 1/4 to 3/8, 3/8 to 1/2. This will ensure that you can use all of your sockets with any one of your ratchets. Just be careful not to put too much load on the ones that downsize...

Last edited by WDE46; 11-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote