View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You won't get a lappy with both a HDD and an SSD as separate drives. Your best bet is to get a laptop with as much SSD storage as you can afford and an external hard drive for long term storage. Also, a dedicated SSD will give you lots better battery life.

Look into an ultrabook as those are typically high performance and well built.

I've had nothing but good luck with HP computers. My HP business class laptop is now 6 years old and is still going strong with no issues and no failures ever. Granted it was a $3k laptop when new and is built out of magnesium...but still.
That's not what I'm talking about. Seagate makes the hard drive with a sort of SSD+ feature, and I know a few companies sell laptops that use the mini SSD as a massive cache (pretty much). There's no way that he's getting more than a 256gb SSD for $1500.

And Ultrabooks are not primarily focused on high performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
imo, anyone who spends over a k on a laptop is crazy, they are throw away items, heat eventually kills them

on a desk with proper cooling i could see

i used to build desks , now, i draw the line at $500 for a lap

i have an hp, with no issues

i do like alienwares, but just can't see the price

i think the opinion of computers is tainted beyond belief, most people don't know how to take care of em, or fix em

just like a bmw
It depends on how well built they are.

I am mostly talking about Mac laptops because that's where the majority of my experience lies.

Out of three PC laptops the longest lasting one made it four years.

I think the new metal laptops (at least the Macs) are way more durable. Powerbooks and the new Unibody Macbooks could easily go 10 years or more- way past their obsoletion dates.

I think the problem is that some PC makers put in what practically amount to desktop processors and GPUs in a laptop, skimp on the build quality to maximize the specs, and then those laptops burn out quickly.

Last edited by Grande D; 11-13-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote