View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
imo, anyone who spends over a k on a laptop is crazy, they are throw away items, heat eventually kills them

on a desk with proper cooling i could see

i used to build desks , now, i draw the line at $500 for a lap

i have an hp, with no issues

i do like alienwares, but just can't see the price

i think the opinion of computers is tainted beyond belief, most people don't know how to take care of em, or fix em

just like a bmw
There is some truth to this. The heat pipe in my Acer broke which cause the CPU and GPU to overheat. After about 3 years (max warranty) they stop supporting laptops so it's nearly impossible to get parts. So I had to hack it up and attach a fan just so the thing wouldn't shut down on its own. Not to say this is a common failure, but goes to show that a small issue like this could make the laptop completely useless with no way to fix it.

Alienware used to be sorta cool, but its just a Dell now. The ones I have used feel cheap and are overpriced.

I too considered the MBP for quite a while since the quality is hands down awesome, but they are not worth the price. Sure, the aluminum case is nice, but then the initial awe wears off and you're left with an awesome case with the same or lower level parts inside that you can get in a PC, and you paid more for them. The ThinkPads (not all Lenovos, the other models are cheap feeling) have a magnesium frame and billet hinges. Its very solid feeling.

Now here's another option you may not have considered... Get a simple 12 or 14" laptop that you can carry around with you and then dock it at your desk where you will do the majority of your work. You can use an eGPU to do graphics processing/gaming and plug into a large monitor. It's a bit of a compromise, but saves you the hassle of dealing with two machines a laptop and desktop, different files, etc (unless you have a network server). That's just my opinion. That depends on how much you want to carry it around.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote