View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
lmr2wil

My Ride: '00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
What do you mean, head bolt torque test? Like I said, you will want to timesert or risk having to repeat the job. It'd be foolish to skip this step.

The only way I know of to test the rings is to do a compression test once you have everything back together. There is no test for the bearings themselves afaik. The solution would be a rebuild. :/ Without knowing how far your friend went, and how low on oil, we can only speculate. There's a reason you are supposed to pull over and turn the car off immediately.
Although I agree that timeserting would be prudent if reusing the block, BMW themselves talk of a "head bolt torque test." See the attached TSB.

OP, I applaud your desire to tear into the current engine. Assuming you aren't on too tight a schedule, this should be a good exercise - with the slight possibility of saving the current engine. However, if the motor overheated and lost oil, you easily could have bearing damage, or other goodies that will make this endeavor moot. Just be prepared

Good luck!

Luke
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HeadBoltTSB.pdf (17.1 KB, 81 views)
lmr2wil is offline   Reply With Quote