View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I opted for a 500GB HDD with DVD/CD drive but you might look into a 128 or 256 SSD with 1TB HDD in the CD bay.
Even though no one uses the CD/DVD drive much anymore, this consumes loads of battery power. Much better off with a detachable portable external.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
You basically spec all the parts you want and you can build some seriously powerful laptops, but quality is questionable.
Questionable quality and astronomical price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. Seagate makes the hard drive with a sort of SSD+ feature, and I know a few companies sell laptops that use the mini SSD as a massive cache (pretty much). There's no way that he's getting more than a 256gb SSD for $1500.

And Ultrabooks are not primarily focused on high performance.
Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah, they have a bunch of hybrid drives out there, I think Seagate makes them. Anyway, reviews say they aren't nearly as fast as a true SSD but are much cheaper so give and take on that one.

Dell makes several models with a 256GB SSD for less than $1500. I'm sure they aren't the only ones. Other option is to buy a lappy with the smallest/cheapest drive and swap it out for a 256GB SSD after you get it. You can also upgrade the memory to what you want too.

What are ultrabooks focused on if it's not performance?

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-14-2012 at 09:51 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote