View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #126
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
the biggest thing to learn in any kind of liberal arts degree, and what universities should focus on in those degrees towards the end of the program, is marketing. How to sell yourself as more than a basket weaver, a historian, an political scientist, etc etc etc.

If you walk into a company and say "I'm a political scientist, give me a job" they're going to laugh at you and tell you they don't need a political scientist. If, however, you learned some valuable skills as a political science major, such as research, analysis, synthesis, how to process and evaluate disparate information sources into a concise summary, how to write (because God knows too few college graduates know how to do this basic task), and can translate those into a picture of how you are valuable to a company, finding a job is not nearly as hard as it may seem. The problem is that liberal arts majors walk out into the world with plan A, then can't understand why people aren't lining up to give them jobs.

An engineering degree spells out to the world exactly what kind of value you can potentially bring. A mechanical engineering major can fill a mechanical engineering job. A chemistry major can fill a chemists job. A liberal arts degree, well, again, you need to be able to market yourself.