View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #2662
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ode2joy View Post
I've got a question for touring owners only, so I hope no one minds me asking it here. I've got 2000 323iT 5 speed and get A LOT worse fuel mileage than I did with my 330 vert or my wife's 530. Both of them get 25 city and around 30 highway. I get about 20-21 in town and only jump to about 24 on the highway. I know the 5 speed wagons are geared differently, so I'm wondering if that makes the difference. Can anyone elaborate on their experiences?

Thanks
That sounds about right. I've had 323i, 325i, 330i previously. The 330i makes getting to speed more efficient since it has more HP and efficiency when accelerating. It sounds weird considering the 330 has more hp, you'd expect it to have worse mileage but it is more efficient overall for normal driving.

You are about avg for your city driving but slightly low for highway. Do you have heavy wheels? Is all your maintenance up to date? IIRC, the auto's have a higher rear end so having a manual, you should be getting better gas mileage than the autos.