View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
OK, let's move away from the brand discussion and start talking about components.
Thanks for saying this. Also tell the mac guys to piss off.

Quote:
Knowing that Photoshop speed is a big concern, and I'd like the computer to be able to do longer videos composed of lots of shorter clips...
When processing video, you need one thing and that's brute force in terms of clock speed. There's very little that will help out here. Having a lot of RAM will help to a certain point but once you get over 8GB, you get into diminishing returns on video processing. Like I said, you just need a fast CPU to crunch this out.

Quote:
Would I notice the difference going from the i7 3610 to the 3820? What all does the extra 2mb of cache do for me?
The short answer is yes, the long answer is depends on what you're doing. The 3820 scores significantly higher on 3D Mark scores. This, translates into better video rendering performance due to the higher throughput. Aside from the Intel Extreme processors, the 3820 is the best there is.

It would be best to find some good benchmark results on to find your answer to this.

Quote:
Also, how much of a difference would the K2000 gpu make over the k1000? I know Vegas Pro 11 can take advantage of it. Making a half hour long video and processing it, are we talking a minute or two difference in rendering speed? 20 minutes? 30 seconds?
Graphics cards don't contribute much to video rendering performance, it's likely you wouldn't see any difference here unless you're doing special effects and 3D renderings.

Also note that Quadro cards are designed for CAD applications and as such have awesome OpenGL support for 3D rendering. They won't, however, be as good for gaming as some of the other more mainstream (cheaper) cards.

Quote:
What about memory? My guess is it's probably best to order a computer with the standard 8gb and upgrade it myself through newegg for cheaper? Would I notice a big difference from 8 to 16gb? What about 32?
There is diminishing returns after 8GB but 16GB is a good compromise if you can swing it. Surely can't hurt.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote