View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Creamer View Post
Of course proper amount is proper. But i would say drain some out if near a liter over. More is better than less cause you cant do much worse damage than a scored cyl or roasted bearing.
I'd strongly suggest you stick to specified levels. Don't go over, don't go under. You might get away with going slightly over on oil level, I'd like to see a reference from e46mango, or anybody, but if you go too far the oil will likely be foamed by the crank. I don't know what the tolerance is in your bmw engine, probably they are all a little different, but, if you are above the top of the full mark you might be asking for trouble. Foamed oil is basically useless - I guess it is better than no oil, but not by much. Overfilling an engine with oil can kill it just as quickly as under filling. There is a reason they mark min and max. Based on what little I've learned about these cars so far, I'd rather run them close to min than above max. It seems to be the way they are designed.

This is especially true with the cooling system. Keep the level between min and max. In fact, make sure it is always below max.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote