View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #28
stevodotorg

My Ride: 02 325i - Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
I'm pretty sure the oil pump nut backing off results in 0 oil pressure, ie an all-or-nothing failure.

I also think that if an engine was ran with no pressure, you'd have similar wear on all parts, not just the one cylinder. There's no telling what the bottom end looks like if the cam bearing (and the lobes, by the look of it) looks like that. My gut feeling, however, is that there is more here than meets the eye. If you're unable to dismantle things any further, you should probably take it to a shop. I would say that the oil pan needs to come off to have a look at the bare minimum, and a used head is probably cheaper than repairing that one.
You are probably right about the head, it surely would probably be cheaper.. Not sure about the oil pan though, why would it need to be dropped?

Something interesting to add, when I removed the bolts to the camshaft bearing cap that was black, the bolts were already way loose.. which is very strange.. perhaps part of the problem?

Thanks to all e46fanatics and other BMW forum users, without the community, our wallets would be more empty than they already are.
I do ECU Coding, contact me.
stevodotorg is offline   Reply With Quote