View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Adding to what was already said. Canon gives you free editing software. Nikon you get a free trial w/option to purchase. When you compare the entry level side by side, you will see that Nikon has a slight edge on battery life. Video shoots a little bit better on Canon. Nikon has more lenses to choose from.

When I got my first DLSR I did what Gottalovethexi suggested. Put it in your hands first and see if you like it. Remember you are going to be shooting with this thing for awhile and you don't want to start hurting. Some users don't have that problem with grip. After I chose which brand, the salesman asked me if I was going to be shooting for a long time... meaning do I want something to grow with me. Having shot Film SLR for years this was a no brainer. Two - I don't want to buy anything that I can't use down the road.

Which is another thing I thought about. Some of these entry level cameras are very limited. You find a lot of people selling them and getting something in the midrange or semipro DSLR. Most do not know that you can find a used camera cheaper than the current line. The difference might be more megapixels or higher ISO (in the newer cameras). Which is not a huge factor because you can still get a decent print from a camera that shoots 5megapixels and even some poster size.

Check for deals online at http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adorama.com they offer free shipping and no tax
I'll second this. For anybody looking to get a new camera, (new or old photographers) I would always consider checking out the used market. Even with the black friday deals coming around, still consider something that's lightly used. It could be a brand new model, or if you get something that's older you can a product that was originally placed higher in the product line.

Canon or Nikon, start out with the 18-55 and go from there.

If you go Nikon, I would say check out the 35 1.8 and 50 1.8 once you decide you want something faster.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote