I love the stove top/oven method, so easy you have to practicaly TRY and screw it up.
1. As previously mentioned, let the steaks come up to room temp. Very important.
2. Place your pan (preferably cast iron, wrap handle with foil if wood) in oven, turn oven on to preheat to 500 deg.F. Your pan will heat up along with the oven.
3. As your oven and pan preheat dry steaks and season VERY liberaly. I use kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder, and onion salt. Then I coat the steaks with olive oil, yes olive oil. Trust me, it will be fine.
4. As soon as oven comes up to temperature remove pan to stove top over a burner on HIGH. Leave the oven on set to 500F. Place steaks in pan 30 to 60 seconds (as Surrey pointed out the meat should release with a really nice crust) flip, cook another 30 to 60 seconds.
5. Place the pan and steaks back into the oven. Cook two minutes flip steaks, cook another 2 minutes. I use these times to cook about a 1.5 inch ribeye to rare. Add about a minute and a half each side for medium rare.
6. Remove and lest rest.
7. Bon profit!
Last edited by chivo328; 11-18-2012 at 11:53 PM.