My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
It looks like it could be your gasket inbetween the vanos unit and the block
your definitely right
the leak has spread to the front middle of the engine now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Yeah, sounds good for dealer. Probably closer to 3.5 hours for an experienced mechanic. The VCR books at an hour, but should be included in a vanos job.

The only issue is if they try to cowboy the vanos and **** up the rings they can't just call up the local parts guy for a replacement. Make sure they follow the instructions or have done it before.
the shop is an Indie with ex dealer ship tech's and are widely respected on my local Bimmer site so they should be ok
i've supplied them with Vanos seals so hopefully they don't **** anything up in that regard because it takes almost a month to get them here
the tech's state they've done 1000's of VCG's but mentioned they rarely have to replace VANOS seals but it is Canada and we don't have many fanatics that would know to replace them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
That is a valve cover gasket leak. Let me guess, you put on a Victor Reinz before, right? I'd just replace the gasket with Goetze, and go from there. Worth a shot for $30...
Yup it was Victor Reinz, i went to an Indie shop that states they use OEM parts only and grabbed them and grommets for $230 as i figured a VCG is a VCG
other Indie shop(s) are a 2hr drive
i will however from now on just make the 2hr drive when needed or order online for repairs
we have Lordco and Fortins (not sure if they are canadian only businesses) but they mainly carrier domestic parts at a great price so my options are very limited

hopefully my valve covers not cracked and it's only the gaskets

Last edited by Mr_325; 11-20-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote