View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
I have used a lot of pads and switch back and forth between street/autox and track pads quite a bit.

Carbotech are great pads, but you HAVE to change rotors when you go from track pads back to street pads. I had XP10 for the track and 1521 Bob Cats for the street. When I left the track and switched back to the Bob Cats I had no brakes. I sanded the rotors and the brakes still sucked. I was blowing all my brake zones in autox races until I media blasted the rotors and re-bedded the bob cats. The AX6 may have been a better choice for autox and may have worked better with the XP10's, but the AX6 are noisy on the street.

I had good luck with HAWK DTC-60 on the track and DTC-30 on the street and autox, but the 30's are noisy, dusty, and a bit hard on the rotors.

You can use Ferodo DS2500 for the street and DS3000 on the track, but they are expensive and the track pads do not last.

Currently I am using Performance Friction Z-Rated on the street/autox and 06's on the track. The Z-Rated have been great, low dust, little to no noise, good bite. I have only been to the track once with the PFC 06 pads and they were great, never faded, good bite, not real linear, but still consistent. I was not pushing too hard as it was an open track day not a race. When I switched back to the Z-Rated pads I did have to get them hot and bed them again to get them working like before. The season ended so I have not been in another autox since my track day so I can not say the Z-Rated are 100% back. They do feel fine on the street.

I have experience with a lot of Wilwood pads, but probably no need to go into those.

Hope this helps.

Click here for my Build Thread
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Last edited by da Vinci; 11-22-2012 at 12:57 AM.
da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote