View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
Loaded325i

My Ride: bmw 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
This isn't a practice I feel comfortable supporting. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I just don't want to involve myself with it. The parts I get are used. I have as much information about them, as the tech that pulled them. It's much cheaper to buy a used motor than to rebuild an old motor. I can give you first hand exp on this, I broke down 3 blocks. All of them seemed decent, and rebuildable. Not 1 of the 3 were good. Everyone I've sold bottom ends to are from another forum. They source their own pistons, S50's, M52's, etc
Whats the problem with using rods and pistons that are still in spec?

The information you have is when you mic the bottom and top end for specification.

Cheap isnt always the best option. Blueprinting an engine(even on a napkin) that your going to throw into your car is much better than just tossing in an unknown used engine.

Many times ive seen an engine with 200,000 miles that burned a little oil from tired rings. The cylinder walls had hardly any taper, the rods and pistons were still within' a gram (the weight of a dollar bill) between eachother. The rods and rod ends had no out of roundness and with the correct length. crankshaft needed nothing but a polish and a standard set of bearings.

Back in the old v8 days, yeah...after 100,000 you would have issues...usually.

Modern engines are built with tighter tolerances and balanced better than ever with computer aided machine equipment, so the service limits are much more forgiving.
2004 BMW 325i CW,PP and Sports Package
1996 toyota avalon-263,000-Sold
2003 Lexus Is300-Sold
2000 Acura TL-Sold
2000 Accord 5 speed-Sold
Loaded325i is offline   Reply With Quote