View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #177
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH03NIX46 View Post
Really nice DIY.
But judging by the videos OP posted on the third page, there still seems to be too much play while in gear, for my taste.

Anyone have any recommendations for a shift kit that has no play in gear?
The stock one has so much play it bothers me (and pretty much everyone else around me that drives a sports car that isn't the e46 M).
The shift play has to do more with your shift linkage bushes and the con rod ball bush. The shifter lever and the plastic cup are only responsible for about 20% of the "play in gear". Rear through the thread, many people have posted links with part numbers to the bushes im talking about.

Replace ALL your shifter bushes if you want to reduce play. But remember, even a new BMW will have some play so dont expect a gator like shifter. If you want absolutely no play , you'd have to get new (aftermarket) shifter linkage , urethane or derlin bushes and a solid shifter lever. OEM BMW shifter levers are not solid, they're made from 2 pieces attached together with rubberized material . When you buy a new OEM lever you can make the top end go side ti side while the bottom is stationary due to the play in the shifter itself.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote