View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #89
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
Ok Guys SOS. I got the Sub frame out (without disconnecting the brake lines btw). All the subframe bushings and transmission mounts are out but I cannot get the new subframe bushings in!!

I rented a balljoint press from autozone which normally works when I did bushings in the past but the kit deosnt have a press or cup that exactly fits our subframe bushings. I thought ahead of time that I would be able to use this quarter inch thick flat bar and a threaded rod to pull the bushing in but that is failing. I completely man handled the two smaller diff mounts ripping one of them while putting it in. The tear is faint but now that the weak spot for it to fail in the future.. The large main diff mount went in fine.

The first subframe bushing that I put in is also a complete train wreck. The casing is bent outward near the top and rubber is shriveled up. Luckily the inner bushing is still in tact and the bushing is 3/4ths in. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to finish putting this one in and get the other three in subframe bushings in? I have done plenty of bushing and ball joints in the past and have never had this problem. I am 15 hours in to this project and have only tomorrow to finish..

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote