View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #62
M3Inline6
I'm now boosting! Funnnn!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Think about this. Who's arms will be lower when the bar is on the chest. The guy with the shorter arms or the longer arms? Think elbow angle. A short armed lifter may have more of a right angle to the arm whereas the long armed lifter will be pushing from much deeper. That alone makes it harder for the long armed lifter to get the bar off the chest. It's the same idea when people bench without going down all the way to the chest. They want to lift more so they shorten the movement. I do agree that the top of the lift doesn't really matter though.

IMHO, it's not about the bar being on the chest. To me, the hardest part about benching is controlling the load on the way down and controlling the load on the way up while keeping my form intact. Sure, the guy with the longer arms may have a further distance to push (..and I use the term "may" because longer limbs mean a different grip position than what is used by someone with shorter limbs; it's all a wash in my opinion. Benching is more variable, unlike....say, a squat or deadlift), but what needs to be done to move the weight is the same regardless of the height of the individual.

To further clarify, there are multiple rings on a standard issue 45 lb. bar. Where I grip the bar (...just outside of shoulder width, pinky fingers or ring fingers on the closest ring from the smooth centered portion of the bar) is different than where my taller, longer limbed buddy grips (..his grip is much wider and closer to the outer ring). Our travel distance is about the same...

....and he puts up more weight than I do, and my bench numbers are strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Dude, you are massively gay for Capoeira. Yes I know this has been well established for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
While not big, I bet it's firm and can grind the sh1t out of a crank.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-25-2012 at 04:03 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote