View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #144
jeremy0000

My Ride: 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
How was it removing the intake manifold? So many others have said it's a horror.
Do you regret doing it, and did you replace anything proactively when you had access under there?
You did not list your mileage.
Well,,, it actually wasn't that bad. It's a horror only in the sense that I had to remove the intake just to swap the starter, where on every other car I have worked on, the starter is a straight shot. But honestly its not too bad. There is one bolt on the bottom of the intake that has to be removed blind and it took a good solid hour just to locate it, but other than that pretty straight forward. Once its all out it looks overwhelming with all of the vacuum hoses and electrical connectors but putting it back together isn't difficult because they all have a pretty logical and obvious place to connect, and I am no expert.

I definitely do not regret it. I have a deeper appreciation for my car, for the reason being that I know it better. It may sound funny but with a BMW I think it is a bonding experience. I also gained more mechanical confidence, and in fact I would do it that way again if I had the time. It gave me an opportunity to have a better understanding of how it is built and how it functions. I didn't really replace anything proactively, basically because I needed to get it done ASAP, and I am not knowledgeable enough to know what to replace without researching. I replaced a couple of vacuum hoses that were pretty deteriorated but thats it.
The mileage was around 70,000 at the time.
jeremy0000 is offline   Reply With Quote