View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #49
drumsauce

My Ride: 2000 323it
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You put in a 9/01+ 330 rack. Not a ZHP rack. Since ZHPs are a MY 03+ car, and all 9/01+ 330s got the 712 rack, you have a 9/01 rack. In other words, it's not a rare, elusive magical sporty racing ///M rack. Great rack, but not ZHP-specific.
Yes, I know this is your stance. But on the Rack Doctor website, it differentiates ZHP racks from others. Rich even explained it over the phone (great guy and wonderful customer service) that there is a difference. So, for the sake of ease, I simply choose to call it a ZHP rack.

As a culture, we come up with quick ways to identify things so others understand it. It is called "slang" or "common language." This is what is happening here. You know there is no such thing as an iTouch, but people call their iPod Touchs, "iTouches." It is not accurate, but it isn't exactly wrong either, since others understand what is being said. Some refer to their shoes as "tennis shoes," when they are wearing running or cross-training shoes, but it is understood.

It really amazes me that this is the hill you want to die on. I mean with all of the "mislabeling" of things going on in society, you have this vendetta against the naming of the 712 rack as "ZHP" and the reason you give is that it is not "it's not a rare, elusive magical sporty racing." I'm really not sure why, nor does it really matter. I will continue to call it a "ZHP rack" even though you don't want people to, simply because it is clear to our forum community what I'm referring to. And that is why it will continue...because that what our little society of e46fanatics commonly understand, or "common language."

Cheers.
drumsauce is offline   Reply With Quote