Thread: build my system
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbamathews View Post
Thanks for the info. Regarding budget, as I stated my $5,000 budget was NOT including install or the head unit. I am not looking for competition sound, I don't think anyways. Just looking for something that gets loud and sounds super clean. Don't mind cutting the door panels a little, just didn't want to start hacking things.

What I am really looking for is someone to actual recommend specific pieces of equipment. For example, "use Focus ZXBDBCVG1 speakers with AlpineXXXX amp, etc".
I recently revamped my whole system with similar goals. Nice, clean, loud with tight bass. I spent just over $5K including all of the equipment and installation labor. Dynamat is key.

I went with:

Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD Head Unit
Kenwood Excelon XR-5S 5-channel amp (80W X 4 + 350W X 1, RMS)
Hertz Hi-Energy HSK-165 components for front stage
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 coaxials for rear stage
Magicbox fiberglass sealed sub enclosure for trunk, carpeted to match
Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F 10" subwoofer

I also had a backup camera added, along with a bluetooth mic in the factory location, an iPod adapter in the glovebox, steering wheel control interface, and a USB plus AUX jack placed in the center console under the armrest. That all added a bit as well to the cost.

You can see pics/writeup here - http://specializedcaraudioinc.com/?p=487

One thing I would take into consideration if you are planning to head your system up with a Dynavin is an external digital sound processor like the Audison Bit 1.

The Dynavin is great, especially for the look, but it is very limited when it comes to DSP and EQ functions. It's very important to be able to make these adjustments so that you can really see the potential of your equipment. I started out with a Dynavin myself, and I elected to take it out and go with that Kenwood double-DIN primarily because it was more flexible from a DSP, EQ and staging standpoint.

In any case, I'm sure you can easily spend more, but I am very happy with this setup. Loud when I want it to be and very clean sound.

Last edited by RJDaly28; 11-28-2012 at 11:58 PM.
RJDaly28 is offline   Reply With Quote