11-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quincy, MA
My Ride: '03 540i6,'05 330Cic
Originally Posted by TechieTechie
I am getting my M3 ready for winter and was just about to purchase Blizzak WS70s when I ran across a review for Vredesteins. They seem to have rave reviews in Europe and make a very good product. Called EuroTire and they have Wintracs in stock in the size I want (225/45/18)....challenge is that they are approximately $400 more than a set of Blizzak WS70s (which I've used in the past and love).
My question to the collective forum is...based upon your experience, are they worth the extra money...either in longevity or in snow performance? I've heard Blizzak studless are only good for 2 to 3 seasons, Wintracs for 3.
If it helps, I spend 70% of my time on dry or snowdusted roads in Boston (with a half dozen blizzards and nasty days thrown in)...the other 30% commuting to my VT ski house which is at the end of a 2 mile, dirt/ice, often unplowed uphill (fun, fun)....
Thanks in advance....
PS...please don't tell me to not drive the car in the winter...that ship has sailed....
Vredesteins are great in the snow.. Have you considered Nokian Hakkapellitta 7s? Call Chang over at Fun Hondas (funhondas.com) - he just placed an order for John Chiu last week..
Those are hands down the best winter tires..
2005 E46 330Cic 6MT - 2/2010 to Present
- Koni Yellows, Eibach Sways F&R
2003 E39 540i6 M-Sport - 4/2007 to Present
- Dinan Exhaust, aFe Stage 1 Intake, E60 SSK, Schroth 4 pt. QuickFit Harnesses, Bilstein PSS Coilovers, E39 M5 3.15 LSD
Boston Chapter BMW CCA Membership Chairperson