View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
TPLGT

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJDaly28 View Post
Are you positive that your installer wired your speakers directly from the head unit and bypassed the factory amp? I would check with him on that, since it's much easier to just use the factory harness and wiring. Just wondering if you might be feeding your factory amp a line level signal, which would certainly cause distortion. If so, you might need a line output converter, or there may be a setting on the head unit to reduce the line output signal.

FWIW, when I originally changed out my head unit and connected with the factory (H/K) amp it made my HK speakers sound awful too, even with the built in line-out converter. Pitched that amp and speakers and replaced them and now it sounds great.

If he did wire them up straight from the head unit it could just be that the stock speakers don't like the power. They really aren't very good speakers at all.
I am pretty sure the tech bypassed the factory amp. I did purchase a line out converter and I'm pretty sure he installed it. The current set up sounds worse than the stock system which is frustrating. I will wait until I install the BSW speakers and go from there. I am sure the speakers will help a lot. If not, which direction do I take? Do I need a separate amp? What can I do to ensure it is loud and clear? I suspect I may need the BSW Sub to complete the system. I don't care a lot about bass but it may be needed.

Thanks for the help!
TPLGT is offline   Reply With Quote