View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
Weighted Selector Rod / WSR / How much is too much weight?

So I was looking into the Rogue Engineering WSR and then came across the this link on how to make your own.

I added 2x9" galvanized steel bars and one some solder wire to the stock selector rod and took the weight from 9.3oz/263.65gm all the way up to 30.3oz/858.99gm.

Basically I added 21oz/595.34gm trippling the weight.

I just ordered the Z4 3.0 Lever and ZHP knob and given that it will be notchy I wanted to even it all out with a WSR. I have not installed the modified selector rod yet. Not even sure if it will fit so therefore I can take off or even add more weight.

Heres my question:

The Rogue Engineering WSR claims that it more than doubles the mass of the selector rod. I am trippleing it. Rogue Engineering denies that is will cause any additional gear wear as they have been selling them for so long.

I read mixed reviews about resting your hand on the shift knob as you drive where some say it will cause faster gear wear and some say its a myth. I personally say its a myth since there are so many weight SSKs, shifters and knobs.

Do you think trippleing the weight of the selector rod is adding too much weight? Is there a such thing as adding too much weight to the seletor rod?

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.