View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Mesa3077Boogie

My Ride: 325i Sport Package 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It'll be fine. It's just a mass used to carry the shifter through the notchy part of the shift. It has the same effect of just yanking the shifter with more force. You're not going to hurt the transmission with this mod any more than you could by moving the shifter with a lot of force.
Thanks for your reply. So do you believe that resting your hand the the shifter is or is not an issue? The weight I added to the selector rod is actually gonna be a lot less than what your arm weights obviously. Another reason I feel that the "dont rest your hand on the shift knob while driving" notion is bogus is that the weight of your hand and amr pushing down on the shift knob is ultimately stopped at the pivot ball in the shifter and shift arm anyway. How is resting a 10lb arm on your shifter even gonna compare to having a 170lb individual in your car with you? I mean any extra weight in your car is ultimately added to the gears pulling the car. Thats all speculation but thats how I see it.

I should have waited until I installed the Z4 shifter and ZHP knob to see how it feels before I installed the weight to the selector rod, but as you may know from my other posts my car is out of commission until my new subframe bushings get here so I am trying to get as much 'other' stuff done on the car as possible in the mean time.

"Brakes Stop The Wheels, Tires Stop The Car"
Mesa3077Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote