View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #117
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Well I'm looking to build as much muscle mass as possible, and from my understanding the rep ranges of 3-6 are more strength hypertrophy, while 8-12 are more muscle volume based hypertrophy. Obviously you'd see mass gains from strength rep ranges and strength gains for volume rep ranges, just each range prioritizes what gets developed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Good questions for sure...

I know what has worked best in the past for me is pyramid training (for example 10-8-6), which takes away the 10-10-10 for instance... I can pick a weight that I can get 10 on the first set, but as I am fatigued when I go for the same weight on next set, I can only get 8... or if I feel I can still get 10 I go up in weight. Should I change the rep scheme to a more pyramid based one?
My personal opinion is that those rules apply mainly to advanced trainees moreso than beginners. A solid compound linear progression will put more mass on a novice trainee than anything else, in my opinion.

I think you're short changing yourself with reverse pyramid training. It's just a lot of wasted reps in my opinion. I'd personally rather see a heavy 5x5 or 5x3 with more rest than all these higher rep sets with a bunch of reps at lower weights.

Gotta remember that a lot of these programs are written by people that are very advanced yet they write stuff on their website and everyone that reads it assumes that was the single program that got those people to the place they are currently at when in reality they used all sorts of beginner, intermediate and advanced programs to get them there.

Your goal at this point should be to add mass and add strength so you can get to a point much more quickly where an appearance based program will benefit you much more so than it will now.

All just in my opinion of course and if appearance is your main goal you could modify a linear progression program from a weekly cycle to a 10 day cycle so you have a few extra days for arm days or back days and an extra day of cardio.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote