View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I guess you have this all figured out??

What I am saying is you really need to try and read/extract/suck the current programming out of the existing module if possible.

The OP can actually use his software to do this assuming he can properly communicate with his replacement module. Also suggest before he programs a replacement module that he try to read/extract/suck the programming info and store it. You can actually jump back and forth between programs if needed and if you have them store.. He can also likely look at his software to determine how many options and features can be programmed into an airbag module.

At times you may be lucky and end up with a module out of a like model and year that has the same profile, but it is just as likely that you could possibly end up with a module that has different programming.

Just because there is no airbag light if you put a used module in a car does not mean the module is configured properly.

Also there are potential big liability issues as well. These module store crash data and airbag deployment info. If you buy a used module on ebay, has any existing crash data been cleared? Does it have history for some other event in some other car?

Just saying you need to be careful how you handle airbag modules, they are not just plug & play.

I have not paid close attention to the E46 configuration, however, the E39 had the rear airbags disabled in certain years. This was entirely configurable with software within the same module.

Just saying that the OP needs to be aware of what he is doing to protect himself and his occupants.
Thats fine, i plan on getting mine checked when i go to the dealer. You can have the airbags in the rears disabled at the dealership for child seats etc. If you installing a used module you will not know wither the previous car had this done. From calling several salvage yards and getting the part numbers from different cars it seems there are part number differences between the models (sedan and coupe) and wither or not the car has side airbags.

It seems other then that they have the same programing. Take it with a grain of salt. For the vary reason that the rear bags can be disabled it is good to go and get the module checked at the dealership. Im just giving info i found while trying to fix a similar issue on my recently purchased e46...

Just for my own knowledge do you mind letting me know the year and model and SRS options for your car so i can see if coincides with my previous findings of part numbers?

As a quick module diagnosis what i did was unhook the passenger seat connector with the battery disconnected. Upon reconnecting the battery this should give you several codes (tensioner, occupancy sensor, etc.) Disconnect the battery again and reconnect the connector. Then try to read the new codes. You should be able to read these codes. However, i was able to read code but not clear. I bought a used module and connected it. There were quite a few codes when i hooked it up. Then i cleared the codes and there was no more SRS light.

By creating a light and fixing the issue i diagnosed that the module was bad and the other codes that would not clear were old faults not clearing and not a current problem. If you still have a fault and you clear the code it will come right back on.

Last edited by Nerdy46; 12-01-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote